Monday, April 27, 2009

...Is that all?

After completing the play Translations, it got me really wondering to what happened to Yolland. It is interesting that he suddenly disappears after he shares a romantic evening with Maire. It makes me think of Romeo and Juliet. Maire seems to know that he will return and where he will return. This is like the idea Juliet has to return to Romeo after faking her own death. In the end of that play though there is definitive knowledge to what happens to the couple: they die. But here the ending is left purposely ambiguous to what will happen to everyone in the play.



I think that this would be a good piece for the creative writing assignment. Writing a play is difficult because it involves much more dialogue between characters and stage directions, but I also think that they are a bit more fun. Having written screenplays before to add a different ending to a book or play, I know that they are hard work but they also allow for more creativity. Stage directions allow for the setting to be incorporated into the storyline without sounding awkward like some other creative stories may have it seem with random descriptions throughout. They also allow for the reader to describe how they picture the characters in their own mind. I think it would be nice for a creative writing assignment for students to write what they think happens at the end of the play.

1 comment:

  1. Kerry,

    I agree with you, it's nice to have things left open to interpretation. When I initially finished the play, I was so frustrated because I had no idea what happened, but now that I think about it, it's kinda nice :)

    ReplyDelete